Now hiring: Communications and Outreach Associate for Beth El
Communications and Outreach Associate (25-30 hrs/week)
Congregation Beth El of the Sudbury River Valley is a Reform Jewish congregation of about 230 families located in Sudbury, MA. Congregation Beth El embodies joyful, participatory Judaism through ritual, study, social connection, and working towards social justice. Our Beth El family includes children and adults of all ages, religious upbringings, ethnic backgrounds and gender identities. We have a long history of innovation in Jewish practice and Jewish community life.
We are seeking an experienced, organized and creative communications professional to help us get the word out about Congregation Beth El, and to publicize our specific programs and events. This is a one-year contract position with possible extension, and will report to the Communications Committee and President.
The best-qualified candidate will be a strong communicator, self-directed and energetic, and bursting with creative ideas. S/he/they must be comfortable working with a range of people within a combined professional and volunteer organizational structure, and must be adept at multitasking and adhering to deadlines.
The Communications and Outreach Associate will:
- Work with us to devise a targeted communications strategy, materials and graphics for publicizing the congregation in order to attract participants and potential members
- Work with staff and lay committees to generate attention-getting messaging and graphics suitable for multiple media (e.g., press releases, articles, online postings, marketing materials, our website, and social media outlets)
- Implement ongoing publicity placement and publicity events to promote Beth El’s specific programs as well as Congregation Beth El itself
- Create resources and internal systems the congregation can use to establish and maintain routine publicity and outreach efforts. Work with volunteers to standardize use of a sustainable system (e.g., templates for public announcements, social media posts, and press coverage; lists of people and organizations that are Beth El-friendly; contacts at schools of communication for possible interns, etc.)
- Help train office staff and volunteers on the basics of marketing, such as writing press releases, articles, and the effective use of social media
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in marketing, public relations, publicity, and/or outreach
- Ability to craft messaging for targeted audiences
- Excellent promotional writing skills and a good eye for graphics, layout, and visual communication
- Experience preparing materials for websites, social media, and print
- Ability to maintain plans and schedules, coordinate and assign tasks to volunteers, and follow up to ensure timely media placement
- Background and interest in working with and training volunteers in the basics of marketing and effective uses of social media
- Understanding of the Jewish community, organizations, media outlets and networks
How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter, resume, relevant writing samples, and three examples of promotional work (e.g., placed press releases and news articles, flyers, announcements, campaign materials, website links, etc.), and three references.
Congregation Beth El
105 Hudson Road
Sudbury, MA 01776
Or submit by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org